Rule #1 for writing your first draft: “Get the damn thing done.”
- Mine your imagination,
- Organize your writing agenda
- Energize your mission
- Complete your first draft.
Write your first draft in a safe and supportive workshop environment.
Learn a professional approach to use for all future script projects.
Receive constructive feedback along the way from a professional screenwriter-experienced teacher(Tom Benedek) and fellow writers.
Feedback, guidance, encouragement can make the first draft journey(and the pages you write) better.
Bring your project
Create your outline
Write your first draft in ten weeks
Class Starts: May 25, 2020
Class Title: Pages I: Writing the First Draft
Class Type: Online
Teacher: Tom Benedek
Class Price: $795
With a structured online environment , this workshop will empower you to get from FADE IN to FADE OUT.
- Weekly due dates to compel you to knock out script pages
- Lectures to help steer you through the writing process
- Feedback and support from a community of fellow writers
- Weekly analysis of pages from a pro screenwriter and educator (me!)
- Teleconferences to drill down in your story and the craft of screenwriting
In this 10-week online workshop, you will use a series of lectures and weekly writing assignments to pound out pages and push you from FADE IN to FADE OUT.
“First drafts are for learning what your story is about.”
— Bernard Malamud
“The first draft is nothing more than a starting point, so be wrong as fast as you can.”
— Andrew Stanton
“Then comes the great leap which is the first draft, I call it ‘the muscle draft,’ where you just muscle it out. You don’t worry about what you’re missing, you just get through it, get to the end.”
— Darren Aronofsky
“Rewrite, rewrite, rewrite. That first draft is just spaghetti on the wall.”
— Dennis Lehane
“The first draft, the first structure is really important… Do it fast, don’t get stuck.”
— Oliver Stone
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
A professional approach to writing a first draft, everything from hitting deadlines to constructive critique, how to handle page notes to finding the motivation to write even when you don’t want to, and much more.COURSE DETAILS
- One written lecture posted each week
- 24/7 Online Forum Q&As moderated by instructor
- Page-writing assignments with instructor and class comments
- Due dates to motivate you to write and post pages
- A weekly teleconference with instructor and class members
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE
Screenwriters who will benefit from the structure of an online class to encourage them to start and finish a complete screenplay draft.
What people say:
~ Max Lance, screenwriter – Winner 2017 Academy Nicholl Fellowship in Screenwriting
“Tom – Thank you for running such an excellent workshop. I learned so much, and it was a really great environment for trying out new ideas and getting honest, supportive feedback.”
~ Erin O’Connor, screenwriter – Miss Virginia(2018) with Uzo Aduba(Orange is the New Black
“Tom has a very incisive understanding of all the ingredients that make a great screenplay. He’s also a first rate writer and a wonderful teacher.”
~ Producer Michael Shamberg – Erin Brockevich, Pulp Fiction, Get Shorty
‘Tom is great to work with – – a wonderful screen and TV writer. He understands how series television is built on the page and knows how to talk about it with students and professionals.’~ Josh Brand – TV Writer-Producer —The Americans, Northern Exposure, Amazing Stories
“Pages I: Writing the First Draft is the best screenwriting workshop I’ve ever taken, hands down. Not only is the approach informative and comprehensive, it breaks down the writing process into manageable chunks from Fade In to Fade Out.”
— Valli Leigh
“Over the years I’ve bought and read many books on screenwriting. None of them got me as far in my goals and understanding as the Pages I: Writing the First Draft course.”–
“Until I took Pages I: The First Draft, I often wondered if I would ever finish a screenplay. Pages I not only gave me the tools and knowledge to craft a screenplay and finish it, it changed the way I think about writing.”
— Katie Cobb
BENEFITS OF THE ONLINE SCREENWRITING MASTER CLASS EXPERIENCE
- Access courses anytime and anywhere on your computer, tablet or smartphone
- Learn the craft amidst a supportive, lively, and fun online community from around the world
- Receive feedback from an instructor who knows the business and has a passion for writing, teaching, learning